Q: Where is the best place to buy a guinea pig?
A: The best place to buy a guinea pig is at an animal shelter. Not only will you be getting a great guinea pig for a reasonable price, but you’ll also be saving a life and giving a guinea pig a second chance at life. If you want a purebred guinea pig to show, get one from a reputable and responsible breeder.
Before getting a guinea pig, make sure you are ready for a four to eight year commitment and don’t get a guinea pig younger than eight weeks old.
1. Buy a pair of cat nail clippers or nail clippers made for rabbits and put these in the area where you’ll be clipping your rabbit’s toenails. You may also want to buy some styptic powder (often found near shavers in the grocery store because it’s used on shaving nicks and cuts) to apply to your rabbit’s nail if you accidently cut a nail too short.
2. Get your rabbit in a comfortable and supported position and sit down, so if if suddenly squirms you won’t drop it and the rabbit won’t injure itself trying to get away. It’s best not to hold it on its back because many rabbits don’t like this. Have a bright light on or do this by a bright window so you’ll be able to see the quick in your rabbit’s nails.
3. Hold the rabbit’s foot in one hand and the clippers in another. It may be helpful to have someone else hold the rabbit while you cut the nails, especially if your rabbit is very unwilling or is large. Clear the fur away from your rabbit’s nail so you can see it clearly.
4. Before you cut any of your rabbit’s nails, look for the quick. You will see a pinkish part inside of your rabbit’s toenail if the nail is light colored. Cut off the nail slightly above the quick so that it won’t bleed.
5. If you rabbit has dark nails or is very difficult, you may want to have a groomer or veterinarian show you the best way to do it.
6. Your rabbit’s nails will probably need cut every six to eight weeks, depending on how much they naturally wear them down.
Q: What is the average life span of a ferret?
A: On average, ferrets live from five to seven years, although some of them have known to reach ten years.
Q: What time of day is best for playing with my hamster?
A: The best time of day to play with hamsters is in the evening, because hamsters are nocturnal (awake at night). If you wake you hamster up during the day, you’re likely to get bitten.
Litter training your rabbit is really very easy. First, buy your rabbit a rabbit sized litter box. Rabbits, even in the wild, have a specific they go to the bathroom in, so look in your rabbit’s cage to see which corner of it yourbunny goes to the bathroom in. Place the litter box in this corner. Put a littlebit of hay in the litter box, because rabbits like to eat hay while they relieve themselves. Don’t worry – your rabbit is not going to eat any hay that they’ve soiled on.
After your rabbit is reliably going to the bathroom in his cage litter box, put your rabbit in a bathroom, hallway, or other small area (be sure that you shut the toilet lid if you’re putting it in the bathroom, because it could jump into the toilet and drown). When your rabbit goes to the bathroom, make note of which corner he goes to the bathroom in and place the litter box there. It can be helpful if you soak up your rabbit’s urine on a piece of napkin and place this in the rabbit’s litter box or place several of his feces in the litter box to give him the idea of what he’s supposed to do in it. When you rabbit is using his litter box fairly consistently (most rabbits will never be completely litter trained, such as a cat might be, so expect a few accidents), move it to a larger area and so forth.
If you rabbit does go to the bathroom on the floor, never punish it because it won’t understand why you’re angry at it and may even start to fear you. If you see your rabbit use its litter box, you can give it a treat or praise it to reinforce the behavior, because praise (and food) is the way to any animal’s heart.
Q: How many sizes of lop eared rabbits are there?
A: American Fuzzy Lops and Holland Lops are the smallest, weighing between three and four and a half pounds when full grown. Mini Lop rabbits weigh between five and seven pounds, while English Lops usually weigh over nine pounds.
Q: How many babies to gerbils have?
A: On average, a gerbil litter contains anywhere from 3-7 babies.
To keep your outdoor rabbit cool in the summer time, freeze a water bottle and put it in the hutch with your rabbit!
Keep in mind that rabbits can get overheated at temperatures of 80-85 degrees F. so make sure your bunny is in the shade and has plenty of water. Preferably, keep your rabbit inside instead, as it will be protected from predators and weather.
Q: How much does a rabbit weigh?
A: Rabbits can weigh as little as 2 lbs. (Netherland Dwarf) or as much as 20 pounds or more (Flemish Giants). The average size of a pet rabbit is 5-8 lbs.
Q: What is the average life span of a ferret?
A: On average, pet ferrets live between five and seven years with proper care.